Friday, May 4, 2012

I'm in London?

On Sunday afternoon, a few of us walked home from church. The sun was out for the first time since we'd gotten to London, and it was absolutely lovely. Hyde Park is beautiful.






I feel a bit overwhelmed by all there is to do here. There are so many things to see, so many things to learn -- but I don't have time for it! We went to the British Museum yesterday but we only had one hour there. One hour! So Natalie and I picked three rooms that we wanted to go to and missed out on the rest. We're going to go back soon and spend hours exploring.

I had a moment of clarity as I was holding a 3,000 year old jade carving: I am in London. This should seem obvious to most people, but it's hard to grasp. Often times I feel like I am at Disneyland or that I am dreaming. I'm walking through cobblestone streets, I'm riding the tube, yet I'm in this trance. All I know is that I got on a plane. I didn't see where it was going; yet when I got off, I was in the most interesting, beautiful city. I can't comprehend it. I am scared that I'll waste my time. I need to take advantage of every possible second; every decision I make affects the person I am becoming. What a huge responsibility that is! At any given point in time, there are things I could be doing -- exploring the city, visiting a museum, reading for my classes, talking and bonding with friends. How do I choose? How do I balance my time?

...Really though. Your suggestions are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. ahh bronwyn! I totally get what you mean when you say you feel like you're in disneyland and you're in this weird trance. I hope you get out of it soon (although I'm pretty sure you said you already did). I always feel like that during transitions and can't fully immerse myself in anything until I'm out of that weird limbo stage. soak it all in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love yoU!

    ReplyDelete